Founding Engineer (Fullstack/Backend)
What is Sphere?
Sphere is a payments API and web platform built for the next generation of the internet. By leveraging blockchains as a settlement layer instead of SWIFT, developers, merchants, and enterprises can start accepting and managing their digital payments with best-in-class compliance, accounting, tax reporting, and analytics.
Our mission is to create a more transparent and equitable payments layer for the world. By processing transactions through decentralized smart contracts, developers and merchants no longer need to spend weeks incorporating, paying legal fees, and providing documentation they might not have to get up-and-running. Enterprises can more efficiently serve customers globally and avoid extractive middlemen. Our success is measured by building a permissionless and credibly neutral payments protocol to give anyone in the world a seat at the table, and participate in global commerce.
We are obsessed. With our craft, and with providing the best possible customer experience. Our co-founders are both technical, and we pride ourselves on a strong engineering and design culture. We like to work hard. Although our management style is hands-off, and we prefer you set your own hours to maximize output, our team typically enjoys working for most waking hours throughout the week. At this stage, we consider all of our employees as co-founders, and believe in a flat, high performance - high reward structure where you will get out what you put in.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Take ownership of the development of beautiful public-facing web applications and/or robust APIs and SDKs from inception to production and beyond.
- Design type-safe and extensible interfaces for orchestrating data reconciliation between a wide range of web2 and web3 message brokers.
- Solve challenging engineering problems across chains with varying levels of liquidity, block finalization time, and architectures.
- Build out and maintain off-chain infrastructure.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in fullstack or backend development.
- High level of ownership, accountability, and attention to detail. We will set goals as a team, and it's up to each of us to figure out how to get there.
- Deep TypeScript proficiency. At a minimum, a solid understanding of basic concepts like inference, interfaces, generics, decorators and modules. Experience with advanced types like conditionals, mapped, and template literals is a plus.
- (Backend) experience writing APIs (REST/gRPC/GraphQL).
- Familiarity with Docker.
- Familiarity with CI/CD tools.
- Familiarity with Postgres.
- Familiarity with at least one cloud platform (e.g., GCP, Azure, AWS).
- Passion for writing clean, secure, efficient, and maintainable code.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
Nice to haves
- 5+ years of experience in fullstack or backend development.
- Experience with message brokers such as GCP Pub/Sub, Kafka, or RabbitMQ.
- Experience with data visualization, analytics, and observability frameworks like Grafana and Prometheus or equivalent.
- Proficiency with any of the following: Rust, Go, Anchor, Solidity, or Move.
- Knowledge of blockchain technology and the crypto space, but not required.
- Familiarity with the payments, financial services, and fintech space.
- Extremely generous salary and equity compensation.
- Global remote work.
- Relocation services and travel if desired.
- Set your own hours and manage your own schedule.
- All-expenses-paid team retreats and conferences.
- Unlimited PTO.
- Complete ownership in a high performance - high reward culture.
- Work on cutting-edge technology in the crypto space, with a world-class engineering and design team.
- The chance to make a meaningful impact on the original and arguably most important use case of cryptocurrency: payments.